Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Hollywood & Dames..

A couple of weeks ago on what I can only describe as one of the coldest, wettest days in London I had the luxury of an afternoon off. Said afternoon had been planned to feature Hollywood and Dames! with some fine dining thrown in between.
My afternoon started in the food emporium of Fortnums, where I joined a select number of ladies to watch Paul Hollywood talk and bake Bread... In answer to many questions.. Yes he was exactly as you see on the TV, his eyes are very blue and he is the only person that can get away with calling Mary Berry "bezzer" in a scouse accent!...
Due to time constraints Paul wasn't able to stay as long as planned so Fortnums kindly refunded the fee, along with plying us with champagne, canapés and a signed copy of Paul's book Bread, which was lovely.
After some time in F&M it was time to brave the elements of the Easter winter and head outside, my ideal of meandering around the west end was dampened slightly by the weather, so sought comfort in the stores on Bond street, before heading to Air street for my pre-theatre reservation at Hawksmoor
Service was excellent and the food was delicious... Hawksmoor being famous for its meat dishes I opted for Potted beef & bacon with yorkshires, Ribeye steak and then peanut butter shortbread with salted caramel ice cream... All from the express menu.
I could not eat it all as the portions were large, the starters was delicious and the yorkshires were light and fluffy and melted in your mouth. Steak was of an outstanding quality cooked to perfection, and finally dessert... oh my!!!... Shortbread was warm and when broken oozed warm chocolate sauce complete with peanuts, accompanied by the salted caramel ice cream it was a feast for all senses... Amazingly yummy!
After rolling out of the restaurant I walked through Piccadilly & Leicester square to St Martins Lane to watch the Dame herself Judi Dench in Peter & Alice. I snagged a £10 ticket months ago for this, completely unaware of how sort after the tickets were.
The play features Judi Dench and Ben Wishaw (aka M & Q from Skyfall) playing Alice & Peter who meet in a bookshop, their lives are entwined by both being the inspiration for iconic childrens stores; Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan.
Here is a small trailer. Judi Dench is one of my favourite actresses, along with Sheila Hancock and Helen Mirren and I am lucky enough to be seeing them all on stage in London during this year.The Dame met everyone of my expectations and more she delivered a dazzling performance and along with the rest of the cast received a standing ovation at the end.
Even though the weather was lousy the glamour of Theatre royalty and a small flavour of Hollywood made my afternoon complete.

2 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Yet again I'm sitting here green with envy over your fab London life, Teresa! Sounds like a perfect day and evening out! x

Archies Mum said...

You lucky thing watching old blue eyes (excuse the pun) in action. Sounds like you had a great time, shame about the weather, but us british should be so used to bad weather by now don't you think.

Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Hollywood & Dames..

A couple of weeks ago on what I can only describe as one of the coldest, wettest days in London I had the luxury of an afternoon off. Said afternoon had been planned to feature Hollywood and Dames! with some fine dining thrown in between.
My afternoon started in the food emporium of Fortnums, where I joined a select number of ladies to watch Paul Hollywood talk and bake Bread... In answer to many questions.. Yes he was exactly as you see on the TV, his eyes are very blue and he is the only person that can get away with calling Mary Berry "bezzer" in a scouse accent!...
Due to time constraints Paul wasn't able to stay as long as planned so Fortnums kindly refunded the fee, along with plying us with champagne, canapés and a signed copy of Paul's book Bread, which was lovely.
After some time in F&M it was time to brave the elements of the Easter winter and head outside, my ideal of meandering around the west end was dampened slightly by the weather, so sought comfort in the stores on Bond street, before heading to Air street for my pre-theatre reservation at Hawksmoor
Service was excellent and the food was delicious... Hawksmoor being famous for its meat dishes I opted for Potted beef & bacon with yorkshires, Ribeye steak and then peanut butter shortbread with salted caramel ice cream... All from the express menu.
I could not eat it all as the portions were large, the starters was delicious and the yorkshires were light and fluffy and melted in your mouth. Steak was of an outstanding quality cooked to perfection, and finally dessert... oh my!!!... Shortbread was warm and when broken oozed warm chocolate sauce complete with peanuts, accompanied by the salted caramel ice cream it was a feast for all senses... Amazingly yummy!
After rolling out of the restaurant I walked through Piccadilly & Leicester square to St Martins Lane to watch the Dame herself Judi Dench in Peter & Alice. I snagged a £10 ticket months ago for this, completely unaware of how sort after the tickets were.
The play features Judi Dench and Ben Wishaw (aka M & Q from Skyfall) playing Alice & Peter who meet in a bookshop, their lives are entwined by both being the inspiration for iconic childrens stores; Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan.
Here is a small trailer. Judi Dench is one of my favourite actresses, along with Sheila Hancock and Helen Mirren and I am lucky enough to be seeing them all on stage in London during this year.The Dame met everyone of my expectations and more she delivered a dazzling performance and along with the rest of the cast received a standing ovation at the end.
Even though the weather was lousy the glamour of Theatre royalty and a small flavour of Hollywood made my afternoon complete.

2 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Yet again I'm sitting here green with envy over your fab London life, Teresa! Sounds like a perfect day and evening out! x

Archies Mum said...

You lucky thing watching old blue eyes (excuse the pun) in action. Sounds like you had a great time, shame about the weather, but us british should be so used to bad weather by now don't you think.