Monday, 28 April 2014

Doughnuts Ahead

Last month I blogged about the sweet treats that had fallen into my basket for March. Aside from Easter chocolate treats there has only been one contender in April for me. This month its all been about the Doughnut.
Late in March I spent a glorious morning browsing the stalls of Borough Market and whilst there I picked up some treats at a fabulous artisan bread stall, Bread Ahead. Purchases included a slab of Bread pudding and an amazing Doughnut filled with salted caramel creme pat, finished off with a chunk of honeycomb. The doughnut was sublime, light & fluffy in texture with the most amazing filling.  It was like eating a salted caramel fluffy cloud... delicious. I have learnt over the years that great doughnuts are an art, and worth every £ spent.
Researching Bread Ahead on my return home, I discovered that this fabulous little stall is the business of artisan baker and the connoisseur of doughnuts Justin Gellatly (previous of St John's bakery fame - parting in 2013) Justin now runs this bakery stall in Borough along with a bakery school ( now added to wish list of things to do).
The day following my trip to Borough this article appeared in the evening standard, giving Justin the lead in the current Doughnut wars in London. Having sampled both St John's, Cocomaya's and Bread aheads in recent weeks, I can heartily agree that JG is Doughnuts ahead of his rivals.
I have been back to Borough at least twice over the month of April and the queues forming around the stall are considerable. With a prime location near the entrance to the market Bread ahead is a must stop. My advice would be to go there first and as early as you can.... then head to Monmouth for a legendary coffee and savour 2 of the best things currently that Borough can offer!... Doughnuts & Coffee the perfect combination.
Justin is soon to release a new book  Bread, Doughnut, Cake, Pudding which has already fallen into my "to Bake" basket.

This book, along with a visit to Bread Ahead is a must for an 'foodie' in 2014.... delicious.

1 comment:

Victoria Eales said...

Oh I do love doughnuts... and Borough Market!

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com

Monday, 28 April 2014

Doughnuts Ahead

Last month I blogged about the sweet treats that had fallen into my basket for March. Aside from Easter chocolate treats there has only been one contender in April for me. This month its all been about the Doughnut.
Late in March I spent a glorious morning browsing the stalls of Borough Market and whilst there I picked up some treats at a fabulous artisan bread stall, Bread Ahead. Purchases included a slab of Bread pudding and an amazing Doughnut filled with salted caramel creme pat, finished off with a chunk of honeycomb. The doughnut was sublime, light & fluffy in texture with the most amazing filling.  It was like eating a salted caramel fluffy cloud... delicious. I have learnt over the years that great doughnuts are an art, and worth every £ spent.
Researching Bread Ahead on my return home, I discovered that this fabulous little stall is the business of artisan baker and the connoisseur of doughnuts Justin Gellatly (previous of St John's bakery fame - parting in 2013) Justin now runs this bakery stall in Borough along with a bakery school ( now added to wish list of things to do).
The day following my trip to Borough this article appeared in the evening standard, giving Justin the lead in the current Doughnut wars in London. Having sampled both St John's, Cocomaya's and Bread aheads in recent weeks, I can heartily agree that JG is Doughnuts ahead of his rivals.
I have been back to Borough at least twice over the month of April and the queues forming around the stall are considerable. With a prime location near the entrance to the market Bread ahead is a must stop. My advice would be to go there first and as early as you can.... then head to Monmouth for a legendary coffee and savour 2 of the best things currently that Borough can offer!... Doughnuts & Coffee the perfect combination.
Justin is soon to release a new book  Bread, Doughnut, Cake, Pudding which has already fallen into my "to Bake" basket.

This book, along with a visit to Bread Ahead is a must for an 'foodie' in 2014.... delicious.

1 comment:

Victoria Eales said...

Oh I do love doughnuts... and Borough Market!

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com