Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Grosvenor House ChocolateTea

Juggling lots of project work during May at work has meant that downtime has been limited. With this in mind I pre-planned a couple of things away from my desk to ease the stress and aid relaxation. One of the treats booked was a late Friday afternoon tea at the Grosvenor House hotel. Famed for its ballroom, this was my first visit to this legendary location along Park Lane.
As blogged many times, afternoon tea is a luxurious treat that I try to do often.
Tea is served in the Park Room overlooking Park Lane and Hyde Park. With a choice of tables I opted to sit adjacent to the windows where I could enjoy views both inside and out. The Park room is a relaxed space, with tables set against sofa & armchair like seating, styled in a way that you don't feel on top of each other.
At the time of my visit Grosvenor |House had collaborated with artisan chocolatier Paul A Young to host a chocolate afternoon tea.

Comprising of:
MENU
Selection of Delicate Finger Sandwiches;
Cucumber and Venezuelan Chocolate Sandwich
 Loch Fyne Smoked Scottish Salmon with Cream Cheese
and Dill Chopped Ham with Somerset Cheddar Mustard Mayonnaise,
 Clarence Court Free Range Eggs with Mayonnaise and Cress
Coldwater Prawns with Marie Rose Sauce
Roast Scottish Beef with Creamed Horseradish
Smoked Chicken with Tarragon 
Home Made Scones with Devonshire Clotted Cream
& Paul A Young’s Award Winning Sea Salted Caramel 
Assortment of Tantalising Afternoon Tea Pastries
 Cocoa Shortcake Biscuit with Madagascan Chocolate Ganache Scented with English Rose and Raspberries
 Earl Grey Tea Chocolate Tart with Salted Lemon Truffle Orange,
English Honey and Geranium Ganache Battenburg
Pistachio and Raspberry Slice 
Speciality Tea Blend  Madagascan Cocoa Nib Tea 
Paul A. Young’s Chocolate Truffles Sea Salted Caramel
 Passion Fruit Curd
85% Classic Ecuadorian Truffle 
The tea was lovely, the pistachio and raspberry slice was gorgeous. The sea salted caramel sauce and scones were melt in the mouth delicious.

 As with all afternoon teas, service is incredibly important part of the experience. Unfortunately GH service let me down on this day. It was an amalgamation of lots of things which culminated in me having to find someone to take my payment. I am usually someone who never complains, chalking up poor experiences as one of life's lessons. I have only ever complained once about poor service and that was in writing to Fortnum's & Mason after a poor tea experience during the jubilee. As I was leaving GH I bumped into the manager, who could see I was a little unhappy. He was fantastic, refunding my bill immediately whilst listening to my experience of tea. He has also invited me back to experience a tea at another time, which I will do later this year, as I would like to believe that this was a one off for a hotel as prestigious as Grosvenor House.
TCakes Afternoon Tea stars:
Tea ****
Ambience ****
Service **

1 comment:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Good to hear the manager tried to put your poor experience right. We've stayed at GH a couple of times in the past and have been less than impressed with the service on both occasions, disappointingly. The afternoon tea menu sounds delightful, though!

Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Grosvenor House ChocolateTea

Juggling lots of project work during May at work has meant that downtime has been limited. With this in mind I pre-planned a couple of things away from my desk to ease the stress and aid relaxation. One of the treats booked was a late Friday afternoon tea at the Grosvenor House hotel. Famed for its ballroom, this was my first visit to this legendary location along Park Lane.
As blogged many times, afternoon tea is a luxurious treat that I try to do often.
Tea is served in the Park Room overlooking Park Lane and Hyde Park. With a choice of tables I opted to sit adjacent to the windows where I could enjoy views both inside and out. The Park room is a relaxed space, with tables set against sofa & armchair like seating, styled in a way that you don't feel on top of each other.
At the time of my visit Grosvenor |House had collaborated with artisan chocolatier Paul A Young to host a chocolate afternoon tea.

Comprising of:
MENU
Selection of Delicate Finger Sandwiches;
Cucumber and Venezuelan Chocolate Sandwich
 Loch Fyne Smoked Scottish Salmon with Cream Cheese
and Dill Chopped Ham with Somerset Cheddar Mustard Mayonnaise,
 Clarence Court Free Range Eggs with Mayonnaise and Cress
Coldwater Prawns with Marie Rose Sauce
Roast Scottish Beef with Creamed Horseradish
Smoked Chicken with Tarragon 
Home Made Scones with Devonshire Clotted Cream
& Paul A Young’s Award Winning Sea Salted Caramel 
Assortment of Tantalising Afternoon Tea Pastries
 Cocoa Shortcake Biscuit with Madagascan Chocolate Ganache Scented with English Rose and Raspberries
 Earl Grey Tea Chocolate Tart with Salted Lemon Truffle Orange,
English Honey and Geranium Ganache Battenburg
Pistachio and Raspberry Slice 
Speciality Tea Blend  Madagascan Cocoa Nib Tea 
Paul A. Young’s Chocolate Truffles Sea Salted Caramel
 Passion Fruit Curd
85% Classic Ecuadorian Truffle 
The tea was lovely, the pistachio and raspberry slice was gorgeous. The sea salted caramel sauce and scones were melt in the mouth delicious.

 As with all afternoon teas, service is incredibly important part of the experience. Unfortunately GH service let me down on this day. It was an amalgamation of lots of things which culminated in me having to find someone to take my payment. I am usually someone who never complains, chalking up poor experiences as one of life's lessons. I have only ever complained once about poor service and that was in writing to Fortnum's & Mason after a poor tea experience during the jubilee. As I was leaving GH I bumped into the manager, who could see I was a little unhappy. He was fantastic, refunding my bill immediately whilst listening to my experience of tea. He has also invited me back to experience a tea at another time, which I will do later this year, as I would like to believe that this was a one off for a hotel as prestigious as Grosvenor House.
TCakes Afternoon Tea stars:
Tea ****
Ambience ****
Service **

1 comment:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Good to hear the manager tried to put your poor experience right. We've stayed at GH a couple of times in the past and have been less than impressed with the service on both occasions, disappointingly. The afternoon tea menu sounds delightful, though!