Friday, 14 November 2014

Popcorn & Prosecco treats....

This autumn & winter going to the Cinema for me has taken on a whole new adventure..... I no longer have to rush for the train to get to my local cinema on time, I can just pop down 4 flights of stairs from my desk to the Everyman Cinema in the lowerground sales floor of Selfridges. The cinema hit the headlines when opened, as its the first of its kind in a department store and is proving to be one of the coolest after work places to be seen.
As you can see its retro glamour at its glorious, with velvet chairs and couches and side tables to watch the films in comfort, with a fabulous bar offering treats not often found at the cinema... yes the signature popcorn is on the menu, but how many times can you accompany it with a glass of prosecco!
Winter is my favourite cinema time, as you really can escape from the cold and rain and escape into other times, realms & worlds. Here are a few of the things that I have seen in this lovely cinema and some that I am looking forward to:
Autumn reviews:
Pride: With a fabulous British cast this film details the support that the Gay campaigners gave the Miners strike in the mid 80's. ... I really enjoyed this movie on so many levels, I was completely unaware of any of this growing up and was so interested in it. Bill Nighy is one of my favourite British actors and he is his great in this. This movie has a real feel good factor and really does fill you with a sense of pride.
Mr Turner: Another British film, directed by Mike Leigh , this biopic showcases the life of the artist Turner. Starring Timothy Spall, is is a cinematic masterpiece, stunning visuals which look glorious on the big screen. It takes you from the dingy streets of Victorian London to the seaside esplanade of Margate. Spall deserving of some accolades for this portrayl.... thoroughly enjoyed.
I have a few movies booked for forthcoming weeks and a lovely Christmas Treat..... here's whats on my Winter Watchlist:
The Imitation Game; another biopic, based on a true story of  Alan Turing, the Enigma codebreaker. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kiera Knightley. Although Turing was regarded a hero he was persecuted for his homosexuality and is a forgotten hero of the 2nd world war.
Paddington: I have already professed my love for this little bear in a blog post here, and is there a better venue to see this movie, than the department store that the original bear was purchased from.
and a very special Cinematic Christmas Treat for a couple of weeks in December.... It's a Wonderful Life.
Looking ahead to 2015.... tickets are already booked for the much talked about Fifty Shades of Grey. ... 2nd trailer released yesterday in-conjunction with advanced ticket sales.
As you can see its the perfect escapism from the hustle and bustle of shopping and the stresses of the winter season in a fabulous location. Great for a night out after work, or a treat during the day ... and with a Saturday morning children s slot its great for families too!

1 comment:

brokeinthebigsmoke.com said...

I just discovered this cinema at the weekend when my friend and I were hunting down the Paddington statues but I didn't get to see inside! Looks super cute!! x

Friday, 14 November 2014

Popcorn & Prosecco treats....

This autumn & winter going to the Cinema for me has taken on a whole new adventure..... I no longer have to rush for the train to get to my local cinema on time, I can just pop down 4 flights of stairs from my desk to the Everyman Cinema in the lowerground sales floor of Selfridges. The cinema hit the headlines when opened, as its the first of its kind in a department store and is proving to be one of the coolest after work places to be seen.
As you can see its retro glamour at its glorious, with velvet chairs and couches and side tables to watch the films in comfort, with a fabulous bar offering treats not often found at the cinema... yes the signature popcorn is on the menu, but how many times can you accompany it with a glass of prosecco!
Winter is my favourite cinema time, as you really can escape from the cold and rain and escape into other times, realms & worlds. Here are a few of the things that I have seen in this lovely cinema and some that I am looking forward to:
Autumn reviews:
Pride: With a fabulous British cast this film details the support that the Gay campaigners gave the Miners strike in the mid 80's. ... I really enjoyed this movie on so many levels, I was completely unaware of any of this growing up and was so interested in it. Bill Nighy is one of my favourite British actors and he is his great in this. This movie has a real feel good factor and really does fill you with a sense of pride.
Mr Turner: Another British film, directed by Mike Leigh , this biopic showcases the life of the artist Turner. Starring Timothy Spall, is is a cinematic masterpiece, stunning visuals which look glorious on the big screen. It takes you from the dingy streets of Victorian London to the seaside esplanade of Margate. Spall deserving of some accolades for this portrayl.... thoroughly enjoyed.
I have a few movies booked for forthcoming weeks and a lovely Christmas Treat..... here's whats on my Winter Watchlist:
The Imitation Game; another biopic, based on a true story of  Alan Turing, the Enigma codebreaker. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kiera Knightley. Although Turing was regarded a hero he was persecuted for his homosexuality and is a forgotten hero of the 2nd world war.
Paddington: I have already professed my love for this little bear in a blog post here, and is there a better venue to see this movie, than the department store that the original bear was purchased from.
and a very special Cinematic Christmas Treat for a couple of weeks in December.... It's a Wonderful Life.
Looking ahead to 2015.... tickets are already booked for the much talked about Fifty Shades of Grey. ... 2nd trailer released yesterday in-conjunction with advanced ticket sales.
As you can see its the perfect escapism from the hustle and bustle of shopping and the stresses of the winter season in a fabulous location. Great for a night out after work, or a treat during the day ... and with a Saturday morning children s slot its great for families too!

1 comment:

brokeinthebigsmoke.com said...

I just discovered this cinema at the weekend when my friend and I were hunting down the Paddington statues but I didn't get to see inside! Looks super cute!! x