Monday, 7 September 2015

A Night of Rugby Heroes....

Last week saw a friend and I attend the premiere of the Rugby movie Building Jerusalem. Some weeks ago when it was announced that Building Jerusalem would be showing in the cinema for one night only followed by a Q&A with some of its stars I knew it was something that I wouldn't be missing. Unbeknown when I booked my tickets for the Empire Leicester Square that I would be attending the actual premiere.
My friend Susanne and I arrived following a torrential downpour and I was so busy faffing with my umbrella that I didn't realise that the guy that I had bumped into in the foyer was my sporting hero Jonny Wilkinson. He was so lovely and was happy to pose for photos with fans before the press junket began.
The movie combines a mix of match action, behind the scenes footage and amazing original interviews with its key players Sir Clive Woodward, Martin Johnson, Matt Dawson and Jonny Wilkinson. It charts the roots of the game through to its professionalization in the 90's with some fabulous footage and very funny anecdotes. Above all Building Jerusalem tells the astonishing story of courage, pressure, and expectation of a team being built to win the world cup, something a country in the northern hemisphere had failed to do until England went to Australia in 2003.
The movie opened with introductions and an opportunity for the director James Erskine to talk through the reasons and back story to the movie before introducing some of the stars from the squad onto the stage.
The movie is fascinating viewing and showcases a team filled with passion, drive, courage and phenomenal team work, and an overall accomplishment of pride. There are some heart stopping moments, even knowing the ending the build to the final JW drop kick is pulse racing. Erskine when interviewed described it as a Rugby heist movie and that sums it up fantastically. A team of men that went down under and collectively pulled off the biggest world cup heist that the world had seen.
After the movie finished to great cheers and applause it was time for some questions and answers from the audience and stars of the movie. All extremely humbled and overwhelmed a little by the response, but in great form and humour.
I had a fabulous evening which culminated in me seeing the world cup before heading home.
This movie is a must for any Rugby fan, but will equally appeal to audiences that like that under-dog story. I already have it on pre-order for when the DVD is released in a couple of weeks and can't wait to see it again.

No comments:

Monday, 7 September 2015

A Night of Rugby Heroes....

Last week saw a friend and I attend the premiere of the Rugby movie Building Jerusalem. Some weeks ago when it was announced that Building Jerusalem would be showing in the cinema for one night only followed by a Q&A with some of its stars I knew it was something that I wouldn't be missing. Unbeknown when I booked my tickets for the Empire Leicester Square that I would be attending the actual premiere.
My friend Susanne and I arrived following a torrential downpour and I was so busy faffing with my umbrella that I didn't realise that the guy that I had bumped into in the foyer was my sporting hero Jonny Wilkinson. He was so lovely and was happy to pose for photos with fans before the press junket began.
The movie combines a mix of match action, behind the scenes footage and amazing original interviews with its key players Sir Clive Woodward, Martin Johnson, Matt Dawson and Jonny Wilkinson. It charts the roots of the game through to its professionalization in the 90's with some fabulous footage and very funny anecdotes. Above all Building Jerusalem tells the astonishing story of courage, pressure, and expectation of a team being built to win the world cup, something a country in the northern hemisphere had failed to do until England went to Australia in 2003.
The movie opened with introductions and an opportunity for the director James Erskine to talk through the reasons and back story to the movie before introducing some of the stars from the squad onto the stage.
The movie is fascinating viewing and showcases a team filled with passion, drive, courage and phenomenal team work, and an overall accomplishment of pride. There are some heart stopping moments, even knowing the ending the build to the final JW drop kick is pulse racing. Erskine when interviewed described it as a Rugby heist movie and that sums it up fantastically. A team of men that went down under and collectively pulled off the biggest world cup heist that the world had seen.
After the movie finished to great cheers and applause it was time for some questions and answers from the audience and stars of the movie. All extremely humbled and overwhelmed a little by the response, but in great form and humour.
I had a fabulous evening which culminated in me seeing the world cup before heading home.
This movie is a must for any Rugby fan, but will equally appeal to audiences that like that under-dog story. I already have it on pre-order for when the DVD is released in a couple of weeks and can't wait to see it again.

No comments: